Question:
How can I help my three year old adjust to a new babysitter?
smurfette
2006-03-08 00:20:14 UTC
I have a three year old daugher and five year old son. We've just moved to a new area and have gotten a recommendation from a friend for a neighborhood babysitter. We'd like to have an evening out later this month. The problem is that my daughter is very, very attached to me. She doesn't mind going to her preschool or to a friend's by herself, but when I go out of the house and leave her at home, she freaks out. I am worried she'll do the same with a babysitter. How can I make this into a special/fun occasion for her and help her be comfortable with a brand new sitter?
Seven answers:
wendischildcare
2006-03-08 12:33:09 UTC
When new children enroll in my daycare I have the parents bring them for a 1 hour play date first with the parents present, that way the get used to me as well as other kids. My suggestion is when a babysitter will be coming into your home ask them if they could come over to your house for about an hour during an afternoon [to get acquainted with your kids] a day or two before you want to go out for the evening. So when the day arrives when you go out, your kids have already met the babysitter. Ahead of time, prepare the babysitter of what may happen with the 3 yr old. When the babysitter arrives, state to your kids, "Oh look who's here, it's 'Stephanie', she's come over to play with you!" Make sure the babysitter arrives 30 minutes before you want to leave, that way the sitter and the kids can get adjusted. Then inform the kids since, 'Stephanie is there, Daddy and I are going to go shopping? Store? or whatever. and Stephanie can play until you get back. Your 3 yr old may still end up crying, but reconfirm you will be back, then leave, do not continue to try to console her it will just make it worse. Trust me she will stop crying soon after your out of sight usually within about 5 minutes.
ames018
2006-03-08 04:42:08 UTC
Most definitly have the baby sitter come over for a couple nights to hang out with the kids while you're home.. Maybe let the babysitter and your daughter have some one on one time with you in the house.. Have the babysitter take her out to a park or just to do soemthing really cool and fun.. Once the babysitter does this.. She will hopefully win her over..
gailelsberry
2006-03-08 00:28:35 UTC
If you have a cell phone, you might try calling her & having the babysitter hold the phone to her ear & let her hear your voice ask her how & what she's doing & tell her that you'll be home in a little while. Try visiting with the babysitter or have her visit you while your child is present in the room. Let the babysitter read to her, play with her favorite toys & ask her questions... in other words, make the babysitter her friend before she's the actual babysitter so the child is more familiar with the sitter. Sometimes, you just have to let the babysitter deal with it & enjoy yourself to spite all. You can't sheild children from hurt feelings of you not being there all the time. This is life's learning process... just like they have to learn to sleep in their own beds at night, entertain themselves when they're awake. Good luck. I raised 5 myself & have 2 grandchildren. It ain't easy & worse on the parent than the child. Go on & enjoy yourselves! Just make certain the babysitter has references & that you follow up on them!
2006-03-08 07:27:45 UTC
try getting the babysitter to come over when ever you are free and the babysitter is free, so she feels comfy with the new babysitter so she gets to know her ect, play games with ur daughter and the babysitter all together so she gets to know the new baby sitter. than when you go out she may cry and be upset when you leave but she is not left there with an adult who is a stranger to her. she'll calm down rather quickly
me
2006-03-08 00:52:47 UTC
LET THE CHILD SEE YOU INTERACTING WITH THE BABYSITTER AND INVOLVE HER IN THE PLAY. MAKE SURE TO DO THIS IN THE HOME SINCE THAT WHERE SHE SEEMS TO BE INSECURE WITHOUT YOU AND POSSIBLY TRY A DAY OUT LIKE THE PARK. LET THE BABYSITTER BUILD A BOND, TRY WALKING AWAY, DO NOT ENGAGE YOURSELF SO MUCH WHEN THE TWO PLAYING.
Twisted Chickie
2006-03-08 00:44:08 UTC
When my sister was having this problem she obtained the sitter's services and stayed with them allowing her daughter to gain some trust in the sitter so that when she finally left alone with the sitter, it wasn't like she was abandoned. It also give you a chance to get to see how a new sitter interracts with your child.
?
2016-10-15 05:48:04 UTC
Whoa, wait a minute. in case you potty practice the boy with out the lady there, he will only be used to happening the potty with out her there. think of of how a lot of a help to him it may well be to work out that his sister is going on the potty, you bypass on the potty, and that now that is his turn! Definately save your ecosystem the same! He would experience like he's doing something forbidden, and subsequently his sister should be despatched away. purely save everybody there, and emphasise it every time somebody is going. leap up and down and clap and smile. Then enable him try. he will leap precise into it quicker understanding that everybody is doing it. I truthfully have 3 young infants, and it purely labored that way for me. good success to you! :-)