Question:
What is the best age to start potty training a boy?
chocolatedrop125
2006-03-15 21:30:33 UTC
What is the best age to start potty training a boy?
Twelve answers:
sargo
2006-03-15 23:56:09 UTC
The short answer I would give is about 20 months.

To take it a little further, your child should be able to pass three tests: bladder control, physical readiness, and instructional readiness. The bladder control test is: does your child have a good deal of urine at one time or dribbles through the day? If he's holding it and then releasing a good deal at once, he's probably ready. Physical readiness: can he pick up objects easily? Can he walk through a room unassisted? If yes, he's probably physically ready. Instructional readiness: can he follow simple directions, i.e. bring you a familiar object or sit down when told. If he can do that kind of thing, he's probably ready.

A great book to get would be "Toilet Training in a Day" by Azrin and Foxx. It was published in 1976 so you can probably hit a used book store and get a copy for a buck or so. Or look in your local library. I'm not trying to get you to spend money, but the book is a great help.

I knew Nate Azrin a while back and I have used this method on all three of my kids. It worked incredibly well with all of them. My little girl trained the quickest, but all three were self pottying by the end of the day. What a relief!! I have also trained two of my nephews and three family friends (the children). If you follow the program, it works.

Other than that, good luck and good training!
?
2016-12-25 02:47:04 UTC
1
?
2016-05-20 03:15:09 UTC
I'd say 2 years old at the absolute earliest. Some boys may not be ready until closer to 3 though. I have actually heard the average age for a boy to potty train is 3 and some do not train until 3 and half.
deedee
2006-03-15 21:50:22 UTC
I would start as soon as possible because boys tend to take longer than little girls. I knew when my son had to go number 2 so I would just sit him on the pottie. Or a little while after he had something to drink I would sit him on the pottie. And the most important thing is to be consistent. Let him know that it is wrong to go in his pants.
marie
2006-03-15 23:30:42 UTC
I was watching a segment on Breakfast news the other day and the Pediatrician recommended the best time to start potty training a child is when they wake up after a nap and their diaper is dry. Good Luck..
lov3able_canadian_gurl
2006-03-16 00:27:25 UTC
I think around 1/2 - 2 years old . My son was 2 when he was fully potty trained, but he was a fast learner. Your son will let u know when its time. Just remember to buy alot of underwear and there will be some accidents.:)
faeryear
2006-03-15 21:51:58 UTC
I would say, about 2 years old. But it all depends on your child. My son started at 2, but wasn't fully potty trained until he was almost 4. When you start though, don't stop.Keep insisting he try.
2006-03-16 00:50:12 UTC
Whenever they're ready...I thought my son was too young because he just turned one, but we've been working with him lately and he loves it. Get a little potty for him and see if he shows interest as well as other signs he's ready. It was advice given to me a couple weeks ago.
jennifer_elaine83
2006-03-15 21:58:31 UTC
It all depends on your child. They will let you know when they are ready. My son just turned 1 last week and started using the potty monday. It was all him, he led me into the bathroom and started tugging at his diaper. He had been letting me know for a few weeks whenever he soiled himself; he just wouldn't leave me alone until I changed him. He now uses the toilet at least once a day...normally when he wakes up from his nap. Just let him show you the way...it's amazing what kids know!
QueenofSummertime
2006-03-15 21:46:05 UTC
I'd say around 2. My son is 19 months and there is no way that he is ready yet but others might be ready earlier.
2006-03-15 21:31:33 UTC
18-24 months.
Kiss my Putt!
2006-03-17 12:32:42 UTC